Are you looking to sell a home? At times, it may seem like you are adrift on an endless sea of paperwork. So many documents are required during the sale of a home that it can be confusing and worrisome. To help with this, I’ve put together this brief list to help you navigate the process. This isn’t an exhaustive list of all the documents you might need during a sale, but it should help you get the ball rolling.
1. Pre-listing paperwork. This is possibly the most paperwork-intensive portion of the process. Put simply; this is when you need to gather all of the documentation for your ownership of the property and any changes you’ve made.
2. Disclosures. If your property has any issues, you need to disclose them to your buyer. Any repairs, out-of-date equipment, asbestos, and things like that need to be reported. This will cover your bases legally and ensure a smooth sale.
3. Your deed. If you don’t know where your deed is, you can usually go to your attorney or town hall and get the necessary information.
4. Listing paperwork. This one is a lot easier for the homeowner. This will include things like a title check, disclosure paperwork, and a listing agreement. Much of this paperwork should have been gathered before listing, and some of it will be the responsibility of your real estate agent. Be sure to work closely with your agent to make sure that you have all of the necessary documents.
5. The offer and closing paperwork. This is another step in the process that is heavy on documentation. Much of it will be included in the prior steps, but you’ll also need new things like the purchase offer, appraisals, and inspections. The most important things you’ll want to have on hand during this process are your identification and the deed to the home.
One other thing to note is that your specific city, county, and state might have different requirements. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, remember that this is why you need a trusted, local real estate agent like me on your side. I’m an expert in the buying and selling processes, and I can help you identify, find, generate, or apply for all of the necessary documents that you will need for your specific sale.